Jags Win in Comeback Against Plano

Richard Zane, Staff Writer

Last Friday, the Jaguars varsity boys basketball team hosted the Plano Wildcats in the first District 6-6A game of the season. The two teams came into the game with similar records and both are expected to contend for one of District 6-6A’s four playoff spot.

The Jaguars started hot, scoring the game’s first six points. Plano’s Jason Bardgett responded by taking over. Plano and Flower Mound traded baskets for much of the first half, but at the break the Wildcats had a 24-19 lead. The Jags struggled for the most part to get anything working. Sophomore Isaiah Brown single handedly kept the them in the game to that point.

The deficit got to be as big as 10 points at one point. In the second half, the Jaguars fought back. Senior Jake Feickart, who had struggled to get anything going offensively for much of the night, hit a huge three-pointer to bring the momentum back to the Jaguar side, as well as bring his team closer to the comeback.

Down the stretch, the teams continued to trade baskets until the final couple of minutes. The deciding factor in this game was free throws. When both teams entered the shooting bonus, Flower Mound made their shots and Plano did not. Jaguar Nation had a big part in the win as they disrupted each Wildcat that went to the free throw line by being as loud as they possibly could. This did not go unnoticed as many Jaguar players took to Twitter after the game to thank the fans.

The late cold streak for Plano helped the Jags go on to take the win 49-41 in a game that was actually a little closer than the score would suggest.

Flower Mound improves to 10-3, 1-0 in District 6-6A. A full replay of the game can be seen on Youtube as it was recorded and even streamed live by Flower Mound Sports Network. This can be seen at http://youtu.be/-3cyGpJgu2A.

The Jags travel to Edward S. Marcus High School to take on their bitter rival, the Marauders, this Friday. Game time is set for 7:30 pm in Marcus’ new arena.