Estamos de vuelta, bebé

Jami Hostettler, Staff Writer

Looking for a way to immerse in the Spanish language and latin culture? Then look no further than the Spanish Culture and Language Club, originally dubbed simply the Spanish Club, current club president Nawal Ahmed has taken the reigns and implemented some changes that have revived its popularity.

“Throughout the course of the year, this club was slowly becoming inactive to my dismay,” Nawal said. “There was little participation, and progression and as a result, the former president left the club. I stepped in and spoke to Señor Moore regarding the club and starting it up again, and we decided to make it a new club in February of 2015.”

Nawal needed to take many steps in order to revamp the club, many of which included long hours at home brainstorming ideas on what she would like the club to do and how she could reel in potential members.

“Planning out activities, organizing all the supplies needed for events, spreading the word about the new club, talking to teachers about how they can get their students involved, collecting forms and incorporating opinions of other members into bettering the club, and recognizing extra participation from members are just some of the things I needed to do as the president of this club,” Nawal said.

Taking on such a heavy task on one’s own time is enough to make anyone a little stressed, but Ahmed claims that she has found a great support system in her new team of officers.

“Fortunately, after the officer elections, the new officers have been helping Señor Moore, this club, and myself so much,” Nawal said.

Tutoring sessions, arts and crafts, team competitions, treasure hunts, cooking, pen pals, and even an end of the year field trip are just a few of the things to look forward to after joining this club.

“Everybody is having a good time, there is music playing, snacks and drinks for everybody, and activities that everyone can participate in and enjoy,” Nawal said.

The meetings are fun, last anywhere from 30-45 minutes, and offer a unique way to meet new people and explore your interest in the Spanish language and culture.

“It is an informal and friendly gathering, and new members are always made to feel welcome,” Nawal said.

Thanks to Nawal, many people this year have been positively impacted by the club, and for two more years she will continue to make that impact grow.

“I hope that I will be remembered as an inspiring and optimistic leader who always put in their best effort to make being a part of the SCLC something to be excited about and proud of.”

*We used Google Translate for the headline, so forgive us for possibly butchering the Spanish language.