October 2 Announcements

GSA will meet this Wednesday before school at 7:40 and after school at 3:40 in Ms. Schmaltz’s room, 1300. Hope to see you there!

In 1925, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was published. Although the book did not win any major awards, it is considered one of the great literary masterpieces of the 20th century and has sold over 15 million copies in North America alone. This book has never been formally banned from being taught, though it has faced serious challenges, most notably in 1987 by a college in South Carolina, which challenged the book and called for its banning from public schools because of “language and sexual references.”
Today we are announcing the winners of our Banned Book Week Contest. The staff winner is Ms. Lynch!!! The student winner is Austin Fonseka! Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who entered. Winners need to come to the library to pick up their prizes.

Computer Science Club meetings begin today in room 2150. We will meet on Monday 3:35-4:05. Come join us if you are into computers, programming, or just like to discuss techie stuff. This is also for those of you who are part of the UIL Computer Science competition team or Java programmers who want to be – come see Mrs. Hitch this afternoon please!

I can feel it coming in the air tonight. Ohhhohhh! Can you? If not, please come to FCA tonight for food, fellowship, and fun from 7-9. One of our leaders, Kendall Jennings, is speaking. Please follow us on Twitter @FMHSFCA for more directions and other info.

German Club is meeting for the first time on Wednesday, October 4th, from 4-5 pm in room 1640. Please make sure to bring your applications as well as membership fees if you haven’t done so yet. If you have any questions, please see Ms. Morrow in room 1640. Please come join us for our first meeting this year! Anyone can be a member! Be part of something really cool!

Junior Classical League (aka Latin Club) meeting on Wednesday, October 4 at 8:00 a.m. or at 3:45 p.m. in FMHS room 1570. Pay $10 dues and learn about the year’s activities. Remember, all roads lead to Rome.

Hey student council members! Don’t forget, there is a meeting this Tuesday, October 3rd, before and after school in the library! Make sure to attend.

Seniors – The last day to have your senior portrait taken at Prestige is October 8th. Prestige will be here at school on Monday October 2nd from 11 3:30 in Room 1345.
Senior Round Up – Girls, wear a tube top or spaghetti strap under another shirt so you can pull the drape over the tube top.

Ironically, the most requested item to be donated to homeless shelters is also the least donated item. Can you guess what that item is? Socks! To help fix this sock deficit, we are starting a fundraiser that runs October 2nd through the 31st. Also known as…SOCKTOBER. If you are a stuco member you can attain 2 points for every one pair of socks donated. Turn in all socks outside room 2400. At the end of the month we will officially donate all of our socks to a local homeless shelter. Again socks are highly requested, so be sure to donate as much as you can!

If you have a school-issued iPad and you do not use it or want it, please turn it in with the case, cord, and charger to room 1225.