Announcements 2-1

We will be on a pep rally schedule on Friday Feb 2 for our Winter Sports pep rally. All students should take note; but senior in, senior out, and CCE and DJCC students must be aware of the adjusted schedule so you are not late to classes on Friday 2/2.

Black History Month: Each year beginning on February 1, an entire month of events are planned nationwide honoring the history and contributions of African Americans. The theme for Black History Month in 2018 is “African Americans in Times of War” honoring those brave men and women who served their countries in the armed forces, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice while defending the American ideals of freedom and democracy. During World War II, for example, more than 2.5 million black men registered for the draft and one million served as draftees or volunteers in every branch of the armed forces. A decade before the first glimmers of the American civil rights movement, most black men were assigned to segregated combat groups. Even so, more than 12,000 black men who served in the segregated 92nd Division received citations or were decorated for “extraordinary heroism” on the battlefield.

What causes high blood pressure? The underlying causes are not entirely understood, but we do know that heredity is a factor, as well as poor lifestyle choices, obesity, diet, and activity level. Start taking care of your heart! Get your blood pressure checked today at lunch and don’t forget to wear red tomorrow for National Go Red day!

Attention, French Club members: Our next in-school meeting is today, Thursday, February 1st at 3:45 in Madame Denton’s room. We will discuss our upcoming Mardi Gras party. Merci!

Listen up, Circle of Friends members! Tuesday, February 6th from 4-6pm, we are having our annual Valentine’s Day party! It will be hosted at Sneaky Pete’s in Lewisville, and it’ll be two hours of dancing, food, and tons of fun. For more information on the location’s address, or any other details check out the COF board in the 1200 hallway. We’d love to see you there!

Attention Sophomores: Invitations for the Class of 2020 PSAT Team were mailed earlier in January and the PSAT TEAM contracts are due to Mrs. Barclay in 2635 or Ms. Tipton in 2615 by this Friday, Feb. 2. If you received a PSAT Team invitation, be sure that you meet this deadline!