Announcements 9/18

Freedom Week

Today, as a part of “Celebrate Freedom Week” we are focusing on the “Bill of Rights.” What is the big deal about the “Bill of Rights?” How does it affect your life? If you don’t know, ask a person who was involved in the Civil Rights movement; or a person who was allowed to participate in any religion they wanted; or a person who was arrested got their “due process”. According to the “Bill of Rights” these people were guarantee the right to protest, to participate in any religion they wanted, and to have a right to defend themselves if arrested. Fearing that the central government was given too much power by the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights was added to “spell out the immunities [freedoms] of individual citizens.” The intent of the first ten amendments was to protect the rights of citizens from their government and guarantee us our “unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.” Since then, it has protected the rights of citizens from housing soldiers during war time; it has allowed you and others to speak, write, and protest about things the government has done that you do not agree with; and if arrested, you will not receive cruel and unusual punishment. So what is the big deal about the “Bill of Rights?” Read the Bill of Rights and see how it affects your everyday life to see what the big deal is about. Celebrate Freedom Week!

Globally Green

Globally Green is participating in Keep Flower Mound Beautiful’s Trash Bash, next Saturday, September 22. Join us by signing up outside of room 2370 and showing up for the Trash Bash. Service hours are available. Join our next Globally Green meeting, Wednesday, September 19, at 7:45 am in room 2370. We will be electing officers and talking t-shirts.

FMHS Theatre

Don’t miss the first show in the FMHS theatre season. “Peter and the Starcatcher” is a musical prequel to the Peter Pan story. Come find out how all of your favorite characters came to be. Performances begin Thursday night at 7PM in the Black Box. Other performances are Friday night at 7PM, Saturday at 2:30 and 7PM, and next Monday at 7PM. Tickets are $12 and can be purchased at www.fmhstheatre.net or at the door.

Musical Information

Thank you to everyone that auditioned for Mamma Mia on Saturday. Please check the Mamma Mia chalkboard for more announcements and information in the next two weeks.

South Asian Club

Do you like learning about different cultures and celebrating multicultural events? Then join South Asian Club. Our first meeting is this Thursday before school at 7:50 and after school at 3:45 in room 2420.

College Visits

The following colleges will have a representative available to talk with you during all lunches today: Northern Colorado University and the US Army. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn more about these colleges and their program offerings.

Hat Day

Tired of being told to take off your hat in the building? Don’t want to fix your hair on Friday? Then listen up. When you enter the building Friday, pay a StuCo member $1 and get your hand stamped to wear a hat for the day. All donations go to the Cure Starts Now, which is an organization out of Highland Village that helps research childhood cancers. So don’t forget. Pay $1 on Friday to benefit pediatric cancer research.

Circle of Friends

Hey Circle of Friends! Today, September 18th, is our Game Night! It will be held in room 1470, 1475, and 1480 right after school until 5:30! Come play games and eat ice cream sundaes with us! You don’t want to miss it!

German Club

Gutted Tag! Come to the German Club meeting this Wednesday after school in room 1640. We will be working on a new poster and have fun the German way. Hope to see you there!