Announcements 9-19

Senior Sunrise

Senior Sunrise is THIS Friday, September 21st at 6:30 AM. We are monitoring the weather now. Keep an eye out on the student council twitter or Canvas page on Thursday afternoon to see the final location for Senior Sunrise. All seniors are welcome to join for Chick-Fil-A, donuts, Starbucks coffee and a go time! We look forward to seeing you there!

Freedom Week

Today, “Celebrate Freedom Week” focus on the Abolitionist movement which led to the Emancipation Proclamation When Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863 and the passing of the 13th 14th, and 15th amendments which freed the slaves, gave them the right to vote, and made them full citizens in the United States, it had been a long time coming. Both men and women known as abolitionist because they were trying to abolish slavery had been working for more than 30 years to end slavery in the United States. Two sisters involved in the abolitionist movement not only wanted to free slaves but also free women of their oppression. Sara Grimke, along with her sister Angelina, was the first women in the United States to publicly argue for the abolition of slavery. Cultured and well-educated, they had first-hand knowledge of the condition of slaves. Their own father was a strong advocate of slavery and keeping women “in their place.” The sisters’ lectures about abolishing slavery created violent criticism because it was considered altogether improper for women to speak out on political issues. This made them aware of their own oppression as women, which they soon began to address along wit!h abolitionism. The Grimke sisters insisted that both blacks and women deserve equality, not special treatment but simply the equal opportunity to succeed. They died before seeing women given the right to vote but because of their efforts women will gain the right to vote with the passing of the 19th amendment in 1920. Celebrate Freedom Week!

German Club

Guten Tag!Come to the German Club meeting today after school in room 1640.We will work on a new poster, bring your artistic abilities. Have fun the German way today after school! Hope to see you there!

“Peter and the Starcatcher” Show

DON’T MISS THE FIRST SHOW IN THE FMHS THEATRE SEASON. “PETER AND THE STARCATCHER” IS A MUSICAL PREQUEL TO THE PETER PAN STORY. COME FIND OUT HOW ALL YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS CAME TO BE. PERFORMANCES BEGIN THIS TOMORROW NIGHT AT 7PM IN THE BLACK BOX. OTHER PERFORMANCES ARE FRIDAY NIGHT AT 7PM, SATURDAY AT 2:30 AND 7PM AND NEXT MONDAY AT 7PM. TICKETS ARE $12 AND CAN BE PURCHASED AT WWW.FMHSTHEATRE.NET OR AT THE DOOR.

StuCo Childhood Cancer Fundraiser 

Tired of being told to take off your hat in the building? Don’t want to fix your hair on Friday? Then listen up. When you enter the building Friday, pay a StuCo member $1 and get your hand stamped to wear a hat for the day.,All donations go to The Cure Starts Now which is an organization out of Highland Village that helps research childhood cancers. So don’t forget. Pay $1 on Friday to benefit pediatric cancer research.

South Asian Club

Do you like learning about different cultures and celebrating multicultural events? Then join South Asian Club. Our first meeting is this Thursday before school at 7:50 and after school at 3:45 in room 2420.

College Visits

The following colleges are visiting and will be available for questions during all lunches:

The University of Chicago

University of California-Davis

University of Southern California