Christine Bolitho (right), Valme Alvarez and Adam Morrison each pose for a photo, excited to start teaching at Flower Mound. They all came from different backgrounds, but were ready to educate. “I guess you could say it’s my dream to come work in Lewisville because its such a good district,” Bolitho said.
A Warm Welcome
Nina Aitha and Isabella ReynaOctober 24, 2023

As each new school year begins and new students are welcomed, a wave of eager teachers are welcomed to Flower Mound as well. Teachers work tirelessly...

Monstrous Health Scare

Many young adults consume energy drinks to give them a quick boost throughout the day, but drinks such as Monster, Red Bull and 5-Hour Energy have been reported as dangerous to teens’ health.

At any grocery store or gas station, an individual will see that there are various brands of energy supplements. A few years ago, these companies didn’t even exist. Now, almost 50 percent of young adults from ages 11 to 18 drink energy drinks.

“I drink energy drinks frequently,” senior Andrew Donaldson said. “I probably drink four in a month. I actually like the taste, although most people don’t usually like the flavor. Energy drinks help me stay alert.”

Some of their peers don’t drink energy drinks nearly as much as they do.

“I don’t drink energy drinks very frequently,” junior Josh Hale said. “I might drink them once or twice a month.”

Recently, a lawsuit has been filed against Monster Energy Drinks by the parents of Anais Fournier, a Maryland teen found unconscious after drinking two Monsters within 24 hours. Fournier was put into a coma due to brain swelling, and her parents chose to cut the life support after six days. Doctors discovered the reason behind her cardiac arrest; Monster Energy Drinks have dangerously high levels of caffeine.

A warning label cannot be found on any energy drink for these intense uses of caffeine. 5-Hour Energy also faces a similar charge. The Food and Drug Administration is in the middle of an investigation over the uses of energy drinks.

Many of these drinks have side effects which include increased blood pressure, dehydration, elevated heart rate, heart disease, and other cardiovascular problems.

Some students are aware of these complications and choose not to drink them.

“I hate energy drinks,” sophomore Trevor Deen said, “just the taste of them is disgusting. The side effects are a big negative for me, too.”

Most become more mindful on the subject when teachers and coaches warn them of the threats.

“To me, energy boosters are dangerous,” head football coach Dane Johnson said. “Just the amount of caffeine in them get’s your body overloaded. As much stress as a sport puts on your body, you can’t handle it; you’ll break down.”

In order to ensure the safety of the consumer, the FDA recommends they check with a healthcare provider before drinking the product. The dangers of energy drinks are a lot larger than most people notice, but by being aware of the side effects and risks, accidental deaths like Fournier’s are less likely to occur.