Christine Bolitho (right), Valme Alvarez and Adam Morrison each pose for a photo, excited to start teaching at Flower Mound. They all came from different backgrounds, but were ready to educate. “I guess you could say it’s my dream to come work in Lewisville because its such a good district,” Bolitho said.
A Warm Welcome
Nina Aitha and Isabella Reyna October 24, 2023

As each new school year begins and new students are welcomed, a wave of eager teachers are welcomed to Flower Mound as well. Teachers work tirelessly...

High School’s Got Talent

Some sing it, some dance to it, and some produce it; regardless of the medium, music is an art that intrigues many people. The music industry reaches out to every nation and age group in hopes of finding a new and unique talent. All around the globe, there are high school students avidly pursuing a career in music.

One of the top publicists for young musicians, Moxie Music, sends free music of up-and-coming artists to high schools around the nation as a way to mix curriculum and music into a fun learning experience. A few of their stars in high school are getting quite a bit of attention.

After walking around Flower Mound High with music videos of these artists, I received feedback from my listeners.

All four artists have their own skill set,” senior Maddie Marr said. “I think they could all make it big.”

One group in particular, Mindless Behavior, is taking a fast track to fame. After winning the Coca-Cola Viewers Choice Award and touring with big names such as Backstreet Boys, Justin Bieber, and Jason Derülo, the four-man boy band is making a name for itself. Their music, a blend of Hip/Hop and Pop music, brings in a wider audience of screaming girls. Their first album #1 Girl reached the seven spot in the U.S. album charts, and their second album All Around reached six. Both albums were the top albums on the U.S. R&B charts as well.

MB (Mindless Behavior) has so many catchy songs,” senior Trenton Baldwin said. “I’m their number one fan and I love Prodigy.”

Prodigy, the lead singer, doesn’t have the voice of an angel, but his dancing definitely makes up for the high-pitched singing. For that matter, all of these dudes can dance; they have a knack for making advanced choreography look simple. These boys have already stepped into the spotlight with chart-toppers and even a film on the silver screen. With their beats, rhythm, dancing skill, and growing fan base, you should expect to hear more from Mindless Behavior over the next few years.

The name Trevor Jackson won’t ring any bells, at least not yet. This 16-year old R&B singer steps on to the scene with polished vocals and raw dance skill. His hit song “Like We Grown” will mark the beginning of a very successful career for this young man. When the song begins, the smooth sounding voice and head-nodding beat send you into a relaxed mood. The best comparison I can give you is a slightly deeper and more refined voice of the young Chris Brown in “Yo Excuse Me Miss”. The only difference is that Chris Brown was more into the hip/hop and rap stage during this time. Trevor has vocal skill unlike most kids his age, and he will find himself on the top of the charts within the next few years. Unlike Mindless Behavior, Trevor doesn’t have publicity, but as soon as he does, his sound will electrify radio stations all over the nation.

I am quite a fan of Trevor,” music connoisseur Marta Foster said. “Trevor has a sweet sound that will take him very far in the industry.”

Two of Moxie’s other stars are stepping forward into the music world as we speak. First, the One Direction/Justin Bieber melding Austin Mahone. This native Texan opened for Taylor Swift a few years back, and has reached the middle of the Billboard charts. Called “the second coming of Bieber”, Mahone lives up to the heart-throb teen pop star that every screaming teen girl wants to hear. Personally, I don’t see a difference between Mahone and One Direction’s vocals and Bieber’s appearance. Currently, the biggest reason why he may take-off is because Hip/Hop sensation Flo Rida found him and appeared in his song “Say You’re Just a Friend”. I’m not sure how much you will see of Austin Mahone in the future until he separates his sound from mainstream pop music.

He is too much like Justin Bieber for me,” junior Ryan McBee said. “I prefer Justin way more.”

Moxie’s other rising star, a 21 year old musician from Los Angeles, Jayme Dee brings a little pep to this class of stars. She is out of high school, but her music appeals to girls from middle school to high school. Unfortunately, she has no albums or chart-toppers, and the only big experience she has is singing for The Hunger Games soundtrack. While pretty and animated, she seems like she may be trying too hard to become famous. Her song “Tip Toes” plays a lot like Colbie Caillat’s “Bubbly” except a little more upbeat. Like Mahone, Jayme Dee, will have to change her style into something unique if she wants to stand out and succeed in the music industry.

From YouTube to front stage, these young musicians define success in a whole new way. Don’t feel bad that you’re in school and they’re in the studio. We all choose to find success in our own way, but these kids chose music as their dream.