Christine Bolitho (right), Valme Alvarez and Adam Morrison each pose for a photo, excited to start teaching at Flower Mound. They all came from different backgrounds, but were ready to educate. “I guess you could say it’s my dream to come work in Lewisville because its such a good district,” Bolitho said.
A Warm Welcome
Nina Aitha and Isabella ReynaOctober 24, 2023

As each new school year begins and new students are welcomed, a wave of eager teachers are welcomed to Flower Mound as well. Teachers work tirelessly...

Painting for Congress

The air was thick with anticipation on April 2 as the finalists for “An Artistic Discovery” Congressional High School Art competition were announced. FMHS’s very own Katherine Choi won the Texas Choice award for the third year in a row for her work entitled “Boy Eat Dog World”, a political piece composed of oil paint. Sarah Yu and Hu Eun Chang are also finalists, and will proceed to the next stage.

Hoping for a shot at the Grand Prize, contestants eagerly wait for the announcement that will decide whether or not they advance. The lucky winner receives a trip to Washington D.C., where they can see their art displayed in the House corridor of the U.S. Capital, a path well traveled by congressmen, staff, and–of course–the visitors. It will remain on display for a full year.

There’s an online poll where people vote for their favorite piece online. The most popular piece wins the Texas Choice award and is immediately advanced. After that, a juror will judge the rest,” finalist Katherine Choi said. “A ‘Best of School’ title is given to represent each school and the finalists are chosen. From there, they narrow down the numbers until they have a grand prize and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.”

Choi will have to wait a few more months because it may take some time before the judges decide on the winners.

Around mid-June or July, they have an opening ceremony where all the pieces are hung and you get to walk through the hall and see all the other artwork. You meet the congressmen and take pictures, too. You also get a tour of the capital, and the White House, if you want,” Choi said. “The 1st and 2nd place winners get their artwork exhibited in Congressman Burgess’s Lewisville office for a year.”

Choi also achieved grand prize in last year’s Congressional Art competition. She hopes to win and visit the capitol again this year.

It’s a big deal to have your painting in the U.S. capitol. To have my artwork hanging there meant a lot,” Choi said. “I was completely mind-blown. I went with my family and got to see the tunnel with the artwork. Seeing all of the different art was my favorite part, observing a different perspective helps me improve.”

Not only is “An Artistic Discovery” a rewarding experience for people like Katherine Choi, but this competition opens many doors for aspiring young artists. Having their art on display for the nation can catch quite a few eyes, giving undiscovered talent a rare opportunity. This contest provides the publicity needed for, perhaps, a scholarship. As for Choi, she already has her future set.

I’m planning on attending a design school in the fall; I think I’m probably leaning towards illustration as my major,” Choi said.

As this is her senior year, she won’t return next fall. Choi said that she will miss seeing other people’s artwork, new styles and ideas the most. The variety of talent seen during competitions is a wonderful experience that she will cherish.