East Asian Club

Payton Killeen, Writer

East Asian Club is a culture-appreciating group that welcomes all people wanting to learn about East Asian culture.

“We wanted an outlet to share aspects of East Asian culture that we grew up with,” said Austin Seo, Co-President of East Asian Club. “Most of us never had an opportunity to express our cultures so we decided to create this club spreading awareness and knowledge of the unique East Asian cultures.”

Seo created a club not only to express his own culture, but many other students’ cultures.

“East Asian Club brings traditional parts of their differing cultures together to educate and appreciate their wide differences and similarities,” Seo said.

Club members will take part in a variety of activities to learn about East Asian culture.

“We [will] experience East Asian culture through festive games, pastimes, and snacks native to the different cultures within our club,” Seo said.

Seo believes that the best quality of East Asian Club is that it creates a community of people with common interests.

“Our favorite part of the club is being able to spend time with friends and people who have a common interest in East Asian cultures, making new friends and personal connections,” Seo said.

Amid the stereotypes and changing cultural landscape of America, Seo hopes that East Asian Club will serve as a clear look into a culture and its history.

“East Asian cultures are more than just rice or strict parents complaining about grades,” Seo said. “There is so much more to admire such as our distinctive arts to amazing cuisine. Knowing this is important because in a modern world that is evolving so quickly, especially in America, it is refreshing to look back at our roots and see thousands of years of history and customs.”