Let the Dancing Begin

Claire Burgess, Staff Writer

With the end of football season, the Rosettes started preparation for Spring Show on November 9. It is a quick turn around, but the Rosettes could not be more ready to enter into Spring Show season.

“Because Spring Show has so many different styles, I feel like it’s more entertaining than football season,” junior Rosette Madison McGuire said.

The theme for this year’s Spring Show is “Get The Message.” Every song is chosen to represent a form of communication, from foreign languages to graffiti.

On Saturday, November 8, the team learned the opening act of the show: a sassy jazz routine choreographed by Brandy Evans. Every team member is a part of this dance, along with the Second Opener and Finale.

Rosettes must audition for specialty group routines: sassy jazz, stylized jazz, contemporary, and hip hop. There are anywhere from 8 to 17 members in each group, and they are chosen based on style, technique, showmanship, and work ethic.

“Because they are smaller groups, group routines are my favorite to perform since you are seen better and it’s in your favorite style of dance,” sophomore Rosette Rebecca Johnstone said.

Tuesday, November 11, Elite jazz was taught by Brandy Evans as well. Elite jazz is made up of the Elite team, which is a select group of 12 Rosettes that present the best dancing ability, technique, style, and showmanship. This team is determined by auditioning in front of a panel of judges, similar to try-out night for Rosettes.

The Elite jazz routine is advanced and very impressive. The dance is a mix of contemporary and jazz with a quirky twist. This dance perfectly showcases the talent of the team.

There are three other teams for Spring Show: kick team, lyrical team, and tap team. Kick team was selected during football season, since they performed in the homecoming pep rally. Members of the kick team must have beautiful kicks with strength, pointed toes, straight legs, and perfect posture. Tap team consists of the best tappers on the team. Their quick feet produce the most delicate and harsh sounds to create a dance pleasant on the ears. Synchronized tapping is quite impressive and captivating to the audience. Lyrical (a more contemporary version of ballet) team is the final group that presents excellent, graceful talent.

Many outside studios like Dance Integrity or The Dance Space, and other groups also come perform at Spring Show. One favorite is the “Brosettes.” This groups consists of male seniors who are friends with Rosettes. The Brosettes perform all three nights of the show and always produce laughter and smiles at their humorous “dancing.”

“The Brosettes never fail to make me fall over in my seat laughing especially when they try to do a jump split,” junior Rose Hart said.

The Rosette Spring Show is an occasion you won’t want to miss. The community-wide event is revered by many people as “some of the best entertainment you can find around here.”