Share the Love

Tristynn Cox, Staff Writer

The Rosettes got the opportunity to meet internet sensation Alex Lee, better known as “Alex from Target” for collecting and donating stuffed animals to his Share the Love campaign. Because they donated so many stuffed animals throughout the month of January and early February, Alex decided to pay a visit to the girls to thank them for participating.

“Meeting Alex from Target was actually pretty cool,” sophomore Katie Garlington said. “None of us were really star struck or anything, but we all thought his Share the Love campaign was a really good use of his fame.”

The Share the Love campaign donates new and lightly used stuffed animals to children crossing the border into Texas. These children often come from difficult situations and carry nothing with them except the clothes on their back. To have a stuffed animal comforts them and reminds them that everything is going to be okay. Alex is highly involved in the organization, as his mother is one of the cofounders. Upon his arrival at the school, he introduced himself and took the time to visit and take pictures with all the girls.

“He walked into the auditorium and talked to us about his Share the Love campaign. We could tell he was a really genuine guy and that he was happy to be contributing to a good cause,” Katie said.

Alex rose to stardom when someone posted a picture of him working as a cashier at Target. The post received thousands of comments and favorites, because many people found the picture of him attractive. Now Alex has over 700,000 Twitter followers, 42,120 YouTube subscribers, and has appeared on the Ellen show.

“The next day Alex posted a video online from the time he spent with us,” junior Sydney Reinacher said. “It was weird knowing so many people would see it. We didn’t even realize we were being filmed until after he posted the video.”

Alex, who is only 16 years old, seemed to become famous overnight. Instead of buckling under the pressure, he continues to interact with his fans on social media and spread the word about the Share the Love campaign.

“I think what he’s doing in this Share the Love campaign is really awesome,” junior Claire Burgess said. “Instead of getting really cocky about all this fame, he’s using it for a good cause.”

Follow Alex on Twitter at @acl163 or use the hashtag #ShareTheLove to spread the word about his campaign.