Yearbook Distribution Party

Kaitlin Kollasch, Reporter

On May 19, the yearbook staff tried a new way of handing out yearbooks. Yearbook adviser, Marie Jones, and the staff hoped that having a distribution party would ensure that more students picked up their yearbooks.

The party went from 3:30 pm – 5 pm in the cafeteria. It included finger sandwiches from McAlister’s Deli and a performance by a band called Wren, fronted by junior Emma Dunkelberger. Students and teachers came from all over the building when they heard music coming from the cafeteria stage.

“I liked seeing my best friend play in the band,” senior Caroline Sabolik said. “They’re really good and are even touring this summer.”

Wren seemed to be the hit of the party as people lingered to catch a glimpse. The problem was that this party was meant for more students to pick up their yearbooks, but according to Jones, even fewer showed up than in past years.

“I think less people came than expected,” senior Patrick Gadallah said. “If they had advertised it more or done a better job advertising it, more people might have shown up.”

One reason that people could think it wasn’t advertised enough is because two weeks prior to the party all announcements were emailed to teachers rather than played aloud during second period. The announcements were sent everyday, but people tend not to listen to them. There were also signs posted on the walls to advertise the party, so we can only wonder why not many students showed up.

The party was entertaining to all who came by, but turned out to be a bust. The food ordered wasn’t eaten and the money spent by the staff felt wasted. It was a great idea, but didn’t play out as expected. Maybe next year the yearbook staff could have a distribution party again, but try to advertise in different ways to really ensure people come.