Kanye West Canceled

Via Getty Images

Nandini Dasari, Assistant Editor

Kanye West has gone rogue. Within the span of six months, the American musician, fashion designer, and multimillionaire has appalled the Internet, mainly through his targeted attacks in public feuds, slanderous social media posts, and controversial affairs.

The 44-year old rapper initially rose to fame during the early 1990s and 2000s. A college student at Chicago State University, West dropped his degree to pursue a career in music. He quickly achieved stardom as he took on a job as a records producer at Roc-A-Fella Records, collaborating with prominent artists such as Jay-Z and Jermaine Dupri.

In 2004, West released his first solo album, The College Dropout, amid a sea of eager anticipation. His debut was received with open arms, praised by critics and adored by fans.

“[West’s] music conveys his life story, so from his younger days, he was a good influence. He’s very unique,” sophomore Erwin Kingston said.

His blunt manner and theatrical appearances have further fueled his popularity. But, as of late, West’s outspoken personality has induced a variety of widespread scandals, currently including the ongoing harassment of his ex-wife, Kim Kardashian, and her partner, comedian Pete Davidson. 

West has aimed several heated insults at Kardashian, brutally criticizing her attempts to file for divorce, in turn condemning Davidson for his romantic relations with Kardashian. 

“He posted this picture on Instagram. I think it was of Pete Davidson. The caption read something like ‘be careful because someone like Pete Davidson is going to come and take your kids,’” sophomore Bree Hobbs said.

West’s mockery comes in several forms. In addition to inappropriate images and captions on social media, he has turned to music as a way to publicly declare his thoughts.

“In his latest music video, he had a character named Skete [representing Pete Davidson] put into the ground,” Kingston said, referring to an animated music video released by West earlier this month to his single “Eazy.” West incorporated a disconcerting scene depicting the decapitation of an animated Davidson.

West’s appalling actions have drawn mixed opinions from the public eye, even attracting the recognition of well-known celebrities and political figures who chose to comment on his recent bouts of hostility.

“You may not feel sorry for Kim because she’s rich and famous,” “Daily Show” host Trevor Noah said in an episode last week. “But what she’s going through is terrifying to watch and shines a spotlight on what so many women go through when they choose to leave.”

Some argue that West’s constant disputes are largely the result of his battle with bipolar disorder, a condition for which he was diagnosed in 2016. West continuously cycles through manic episodes and periods of intense mood swings.

“He has bipolar disorder,” sophomore Jasmeet Braich said. “He’s not doing this because he wants attention,” Hobbs added.

Others claim that West’s mental health struggles are not a sufficient excuse for erratic behavior. Last week, West released a post on Instagram, using racial slurs directed at Noah, in retaliation to his defense of Kardashian. His actions have resulted in a wide variety of consequences, ranging from a 24-hour ban on Instagram to removal from the annual Grammy Awards ceremony set for next month.

“Having a mental disorder…  shouldn’t be an excuse for being a bad person,” sophomore Archie Casillan said.

Despite the alarming nature of West’s downward spiral, many fans persist in supporting him through his musical journey, citing a need to separate the art from the artist. 

“I already knew that [West] was not the greatest of people, but that does not change the fact that his music is good,” Kingston said.

West’s albums have continued to amass millions of streams, earning him a spot as one of the most contentiously successful musicians of the decade.