Lady Jags: Victorious Volleyball

Jillian Rash, Reporter

The Lady Jags Volleyball team are succeeding in their season so far, with the varsity team ranked fourth in the district and rising with a 7-3 district record, and freshman and junior varsity teams continuing to win games.

In the upcoming month, however, the Lady Jags will play rivals such as Hebron, who is currently undefeated in district play, and Southlake Carroll, who has a two game lead on the Jags. Undeterred by the standings, the Jags play their games to win–nothing else is acceptable.

The varsity team is focused on getting to playoffs this year, and they are inching closer to achieving their goal, with just a few games left until they reach it. Junior varsity and freshman teams are working hard this season as well, as they participate in local tournaments.

The teams capitalize on the excitement before games to prepare themselves for victory.

“We do a fun cheer that gets everybody ready and pumped to play,” said Abby Butler, varsity.

With their spirits high, the team enters the arena, ready to win their match. In Butler’s opinion, having a good attitude going into the game is important so that the players are confident in their playing ability.

“Having a loud gym gives us lots of support and energy,” said Butler.

The team isn’t only focused on winning, however; they also try to focus on improving themselves with each game. The varsity team practices for hours to keep in shape and painstakingly practices together as a team.

Both junior varsity and varsity teams beat Marcus in what Butler and other players consider the most exciting game they have played. Other recent wins include varsity defeating Lewisville High School, sweeping Trinity High School in three sets, and beating L.D. Bell High School.