Making School History: One Step at a Time

Dexter Andrews, Staff Writer

Since May of this year, the band has put in hundreds of hours into practices, auditions, and performances, all leading up to a moment, one that consists of 96 Bands, four days, spanning across 22 states, all competing in one event, The Bands of America Grand National competition in Indianapolis.

There are three ‘rounds’ in this BOA competition. The Preliminary performances include all 96 bands, taking two days to complete. Scoring is judged by music, visual performance, and general effect. All this is very technical, so for more information visit here. At the end of prelims, the announcements for semi-finals takes place, narrowing the 94 bands down to 35. I had the opportunity to go to Indianapolis to cheer, with many other parents, for our marching band. Many parents to be in fact. As the band marched onto the field, waves of sound seemed to rocket out of the stands as the band parents hooted and hollered for their children and for the band. Grand Nationals was no small feat, and, as the school’s first time being there, making it to semi-finals was a good sign. Hours upon hours of warm-ups and practicing goes into the 15 minutes of fame, and for FMHS, nobody knew for sure if this would be the last performance of the year. As the voiceover began to echo across Lucas Oil, the crowd noise grew to a whisper. They played their hearts out, and the semi-finals performance was spectacular. The crowd cheered, and murmurings of the fans from the other schools we’re stated in shock. “A band like this was something to look out for.” “This pure white band is my favorite.” “Why haven’t they come to this sooner?”  As the last final notes bounced off of the walls, and they marched off the field, I knew, and they knew as well, this was one of their strongest performances.

Semi’s went on until 4 p.m, with some of the best bands in the nation competing for the top 12 spots in finals. Broken Arrow from Oklahoma, stunned the crowd with their strong brass and gorgeous colorguard, and Tarpon Springs from Florida, made everyone think during their majestic show of Man versus Machine. Maleficent, Joan of Arc, and even Hester Prynne were all themes in the semi finals for Bands of America.

When Finals were announced, everyone was quiet. Before the announcements start, the directors from each bands draw numbers for the order of the top twelve. Flower Mound drew for second, so they were busy preparing for the chance at finals, and the fans and family of the band were in the stadium, hoping to cheer when they called out Flower Mound High School. “In no particular order,” the announcer began, booming into the microphone, “the Bands of America finalists include…” I had my hands cupped tight together, and most likely the band did too. The announcements for finals is nerve-wracking. But, sure enough, Flower Mound made it in. The finals cast included many tough contenders, and Flower Mound was up for a fight. Jumping ahead a couple hours, Flower Mound was the first to go. An eight p.m. time slot was good, as they were the first impression they had on the judges, without any comparisons to other bands. Walking on field, the last performance, was something big. Just performing on this field, in the top twelve Bands of America, was something to celebrate. Walking onto the field, the show had begun. A voice echoed around Lucas Oil Field. The pre show had begun.

“I am an artist, and I have to have courage. Do you know that I don’t have any artworks that exist? They all go away when they’re finished. Only the preparatory drawings and collages are left, giving my works an almost legendary character. I think it takes much greater courage to create things to be gone, than to create things that will remain.”

The announcer began, and the crowds cheered. “Bands of America is proud to present, in Grand Nationals Finals performance, drum majors Emily Tyler, Nicole Kennedy, Richelle Lewis, and Tony Theriot, and the Flower Mound High School marching band!” The golden flags began to rise, and the show was in motion. And it was beautiful. The horn section at the front, the guard’s flag routine, the opening of the bassoon box, the solos, the formations and patterns, all blew us away. The crowd really enjoyed it, and it was something that the band members will remember for a long time. A feature of the band can be seen here, with the director Brent Biskup discussing the show, and you get to see some of the heartfelt reactions to the last performance.

The minute they walked off that field, they had set the bar high for finals this year.

Throughout the night, other bands performed, some with amazing sound and talents, but no other band did it like Flower Mound. No band sent chills down my spine, put tears in my eyes, or made me smile like Flower Mound. The announcement of finals, and the 6th placement was thrilling. They made it this far, playing their hearts out, and the soul, effort, and power that they had gathered up throughout the hours and hours of practicing went into those performances. Flower Mound High School, national finalists, and the sixth best band in the nation.