Christine Bolitho (right), Valme Alvarez and Adam Morrison each pose for a photo, excited to start teaching at Flower Mound. They all came from different backgrounds, but were ready to educate. “I guess you could say it’s my dream to come work in Lewisville because its such a good district,” Bolitho said.
A Warm Welcome
Nina Aitha and Isabella ReynaOctober 24, 2023

As each new school year begins and new students are welcomed, a wave of eager teachers are welcomed to Flower Mound as well. Teachers work tirelessly...

In Pursuit of Thrill at the North Texas Outdoor Pursuit Center

With obesity on the rise, and technological innovations focused more on in-home entertainment than outdoor activities, the youth of today need a fun way to get outside and get some much needed exercise. The North Texas Outdoor Pursuit Center, a climbing gym in Carrollton, may have the answer.

The climbing gym is a converted grain silo which towers over old town Carrollton, conveniently located between the new DART Green Line and Stemmons Freeway. The Outdoor Pursuit Center offers a wide selection of routes, varying in difficulty from beginner to expert.

“When I go climbing, it’s the higher the better,” senior Eddie Kinder said, “And the OPC is the tallest gym for a long way, so that’s the place to be.”

All of the routes are taller than any you will find at another climbing gym, sure to give you a great challenge and good workout. The tallest route tops out at 127 feet, making it the tallest indoor climbing route in North America.

“Climbing gets you swole (muscular),” said senior Brian Castillo, “I like being swole.”

Although the OPC does offer great indoor climbing, the best service that the OPC provides is their guide service. A handful of certified climbing guides work at the OPC and organize full service adventures to outdoor climbing areas all around Texas.

“I go climbing because it’s fun,” stated senior Cole Epperson, “the thrill you get from battling with gravity and fatigue to get to the top of a route is unlike anything I have done.”

The OPC offers an extensive selection of guided trips, including climbing trips to Mineral Wells, Texas and the Guadalupe Mountains. They also offer guided adventure trips to Big Bend National Park and numerous other locations in the state.