Christine Bolitho (right), Valme Alvarez and Adam Morrison each pose for a photo, excited to start teaching at Flower Mound. They all came from different backgrounds, but were ready to educate. “I guess you could say it’s my dream to come work in Lewisville because its such a good district,” Bolitho said.
A Warm Welcome
Nina Aitha and Isabella Reyna October 24, 2023

As each new school year begins and new students are welcomed, a wave of eager teachers are welcomed to Flower Mound as well. Teachers work tirelessly...

Choosing the Perfect College

Choosing the Perfect College

Around February and March, seniors experience stress unparalleled by any drama, quiz, or test. This stress comes from choosing a college. From Ivy League-ers to Community College attendees; from parent’s Alma Mata followers to party school-ers; the stress is all the same. Over time, high school seniors have shown specific trends when searching for their perfect match: parent’s Alma Mata, following friends, best school for a major, looks good on resume, least expensive, location, and a few other minor reasons. These ideologies; however, are flawed.

In a survey of one-hundred seniors, the trends are revealed. While some kids do trust their gut feeling and go to their dream college, others seem to go to the school that will give them the “best” opportunity to “succeed” after college. This, of course, falls into an individual’s definition of success. A common idea in today’s society is that success is defined by a large paycheck. Because of that thought, the overall happiness in the world is dwindling. With this idea, kids in high school push themselves harder and harder so that they can one day make endless amounts of money. As a student myself, I can relate to this built up stress, because I see it day-in and day-out. It has become second nature for some students to accept stress because they are pushed by parents, friends, and even themselves.

FMHS is just so competitive,” senior Erin Layne said. “For me, holding a sub-100 class rank is very hard; one mistake and I’ll drop.”

This constant stress and hard work has paid off for some students. The senior class of 2013 features several students attending Ivy League schools, so clearly stress didn’t get the best of them. Now think about the other 700 kids in the senior class. Did stress conquer them? Where is their happiness?

To me, choosing a college isn’t a complicated decision. I truly believe people should choose a college based on their gut feeling and not by others’ expectations. It is easy to see happiness in a senior’s eyes when he or she gets accepted to their dream college, but it’s also easy to see their disappointment when that college isn’t everything they expected. Personally, I chose my college based on location, major, and sports. The choice came from my gut, not from my brain. In other words, I chose Oregon because I will be able to experience life on my own, the way I want. I don’t know anybody at my future school, which will allow me to meet new people and learn more about others. So why don’t others have the same views as me? It’s simple; not all seniors have the same outlooks on success as I do. I define success as trying new things, loving what I do, and living life. Pursuing a college that fits your dreams is the best way.

My dad was a Cowboy, my brother a Red Raider, and my mom and sister were both Sooners,” senior Patrick Doran said. “I chose to be a Sooner because I feel at home there, and their Energy Management Major is incredible.”

Overall, people are happiest when they are doing the things that they want to do. If you want to attend UCLA and become a doctor, then by all means get your stethoscope and get out there–but don’t do it because someone told you to. College is for YOU. Yes, your parents are most likely paying for some of it, but they aren’t attending college–you are. Trust your gut, stay positive, and do what you want to do. You will make the right decision.